Wednesday, September 21, 2011

WHAT I'D LOVE TO HEAR, JUST ONCE. . . .



(with gratitude to Scott Banks for the inspiration!)


Thanks for bringing me into the world, Mom: you are the night-light in a dark and scary world.

Mom, you made mine the happiest childhood ever.

Why, I think freckles and a pale complexion are beautiful.

Oh, here, let me get that for you.

You have changed my life for the better.

You rescued me from bachelorhood.

I will be there for you.

You were my first. Really. You were.

No way do you have eleven grandchildren!

No, I'll scoop the cat-box.

Merry Christmas, darling, and doesn't Aruba look tiny from way up here?

Let's stay an extra week if you like.

Beach hut or condo? Diamonds or pearls?

Want to have some torrid make-up sex now?

I think you look hot in flannel.

You haven't aged a day.

You're married to THAT man? For sixteen years? Really?

No, this year I'll do all the Christmas shopping.

I'll wrap the gifts and mail them out.

Put your feet up and let me get you a glass of something bubbly.

Shall I make dinner for you tonight?

What movie do you want to see?

I scooped the cat-box.

I picked up the dry-cleaning on my way home.

I'll run you a bath and turn down the sheets.

Truffles and a chick-flick tonight, just for you, babe.

Let's go to IKEA and buy you some new bookcases today; I will assemble them, and I'll follow the directions.

Then, let's have some friends over for a cookout.

Wow. That light WAS red.

You're right again.

I mean always.

I'm a better person for having married you.

No, really; I want to hear what you think.

That book you wrote changed my life.

For your birthday this year, a Mercedes Benz AND roadside assistance. I meant roadside assistants: meet Ramon and his cousin, Julio.

Why yes, they were Chippendales.

I'll take the middle seat on the plane this time.

I left the Blackberry at home tonight; let's sit close and hold hands.

Why don't we eat by candlelight?

Your students all speak so highly of you. Your colleagues think you're wonderful.

This is your lucky day.

No, your butt doesn't look big in that dress.

I'm the luckiest man in the room.

Red roses. Just because.

This year, I'm throwing a birthday bash for you.

I'm inviting your friends and hiring a band.

I'd love to dance with you.



photo courtesy of photos.com

4 comments:

  1. Well...I can tell you right now that I seriously can't believe about the eleven grandchildren bit. Is that really true? You're looking good, missus!
    It must be all that Christmas shopping you're having to do ON YOUR OWN!!

    Sarahxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,

    It's true. . .though the eleventh won't be here until Thanksgiving. (STILL have to shop for that one for the holidays though.)

    You should try doing this list sometime; it's so much fun, even when it's deadly-serious. I've had about 12 others email me their lists and they are so funny. If nothing else, they're good for a merry time.

    Hope things are well there in the UK. Still loving your blog and waiting eagerly for it to arrive in the inbox.

    XO Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will have a go at writing one!! Yours makes me laugh every time I come over...yes, I did come back for more peeks!!!

    The weather is crazy in England. It's boiling hot (for here, anyway) but there's predictions of snow next week. Did I say crazy?

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I am almost-envious of your weather there! We are having a bit of sudden chill here in Pennsylvania: it has been raining and cold and miserable. Hopefully, we won't have snow until November or early December, but it does put one in the mood for the holidays, doesn't it?

    This is the season when things start heating up for the holiday: I have 27 new linen sacques finished and need at least that many again for the holiday bazaars and fairs. And the cooling soap has filled every nook of the kitchen counters where it will sit overnight before being wrapped and mailed out. I have quilted Amish-style coasters half-in-the-works and quilted pincushions and button cards being bagged. My house looks like Santa's workshop. Already.

    Bundle up and have a great week. Can't wait to try that wreath out and see what you'll come up with next at Modern Country.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete